Saturday, April 23, 2011

gStrings: an unfortunate name?

I absolutely love this app. There is just nothing like a perfectly tuned guitar.  As a amateur musician(and when I same amateur, I mean slightly above average. very slightly)I know the feeling of having a guitar that feels wrong.  It just sounds off and out of shape, chords are not crisp but this app fixes the problem.

As any read would have guessed, the gStrings app is a guitar tuner.  It uses the same microphone that in used to pick up your voice when you are calling someone to take an incoming sound. Its really only downfall is the fact that outside noises can affect the ability of gStrings to pick up the targeted sound.  It is able to pick up the sound of a plucked string to show you what note, or lack of note, you are playing.  gStrings is amazingly accurate and is a great substitute to a normal tuner, mine always break. I'm not sure if professional musicians would agree with me on this one but I think it is safe to say that buying a tuner is worthless when you have an Android phone.

It is worth noting that this app works with more than just guitar.  You can use it to gauge your own voice or tune a piano, etc. It is very easy to read and can be used in landscape mode also.  It allows you to tune each string individually or, my favorite, a mode they call "tune auto" which automatically decides the pitch that is being heard and allows you to adjust in real time.  Below is a picture of what the app looks like.
Ad-Free Version of gStrings
The app comes in a free version and a paid, ad-free version version which costs $1.46.  The free version does contain ads but they are very subtle.  In fact, to be honest, I had to actually open the free version on my phone to make sure there was really an add and believe me, I've used this app many, many times.  The add appears as a banner at the top of the screen.  The only reason that I would pay for this app is if you wish to support the developer.  Overall, I must say that this is one of the most useful and effective apps on the Android system and I give it a 4.5/5 stars. Props to the developer.

7 comments:

  1. I got this app it's so sick i love it i would give it 5/5 stars!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little brother and father us this app ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd use this but I just snapped a guitar string :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good, wish they'd make something like this for tuning drums

    ReplyDelete