Saturday, April 23, 2011

X Construction, I should change my major!

Today I am going to blog about another great game that is available in the Android Marketplace.  This game is of course "X Construction.  If you have not checked it out yet, you should.  This game is rather neat. The whole goal of the game is to construct a bridge using a limited number of beams and, in the later levels, large wire ropes so that a passenger train can cross safely over a large gap.  It seems like an easy enough task but you will be in for a surprise.   The weight must realistically be distributed between beams and if this is not the case, the bridge will fail. This game is extremely difficult.

From level one, this game brought out full displays of emotion from me, a feat that a very small amount of things can achieve.  

Seemingly Perfect Bridge in Progress
I failed. As an engineering major, I thought this game would be fun and second nature so I downloaded it due to positive reviews about the physics and what not but something about that first level sent me into a fit of tears laughing and raging. Even on the first level, my seemingly perfect bridge just collapsed out of nowhere, sending the train and its passengers screaming into a little valley.

Regardless, this game turned out to be one of my favorites.  Everyone I know got a kick out of the extremely obnoxious screams that occur when you fail.  I never purchased the full version due to the fact that I am a poor college student but I did beat the lite version.  The full currently consists of 15 levels although I have no doubt that new ones will be added sometime in the future. It costs $1.46, a number that seems rather random.   The lite version contains only 7 or 8 levels which I was able to beat in a few days but it was really difficult and I must admit that I cheated and looked online for help on a couple, they're that hard.


Overall, this game deserves its 4.5/5 star rating in the Android Marketpace.  It is very frustrating and could take a lot of time to finish if you do it without any help.  The game, however, is useless once you beat it due to its lack of replayability.  There is a free mode in the full version in which you can make anything your little heart desires but really, it is up to you to decide whether a $1.46 is worth a few hours of fun. For me, it isn't.  I hope that if you're still reading up to this point (if you are, you are a champ) that you will follow me and enjoy my future and past posts.

3 comments:

  1. I want a smartphone so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lot like Pontifex ! Is this a portable version ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Works amazingly good on my x8 2.1 rooted!! Amazing graphics and gameplay but needs new maps were getting bored of the tracks now :-) top game tho2buy!

    http://mobile-app-3g.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete